Open Book and Board of Review Is Held Once a Year
WHAT IS THE BOARD OF REVIEW PROCESS?
You will only receive a notice from Gardiner Appraisal IF your property assessment has changed. Notifications will be mailed beginning approximately May 10th.
If you do not receive a notice but are curious, you can call Gardiner’s office or stop by the Town Hall on May 19, 2023 from 4-6pm to check your assessment.
If you feel that your 2023 property assessment is incorrect, there is a process to follow to rectify it:
- Talk to the Assessor – If you feel there is a discrepancy with the assessed value of your property, please contact the assessor at 608-943-8009 or email [email protected].
- Open Book – Open Book is the second step in the assessment appeals process. Here, the property owners have an opportunity to compare their assessed value with similar (like) properties within the Town. The assessor is available to speak directly with you in attempts to clarify the reasoning behind the value placed on your property. This will be held at the town hall May 19 from 4-6pm.
- Schedule a review hearing at the Board of Review – After speaking with the assessor and looking at property comparables within the Town, if you still feel your assessment isn’t correct, the Board of Review is the next step. The Board of Review is a quasi-judicial (court-like) body empowered with three primary duties:
- Adjust assessments when proven incorrect by sworn oral testimony.
- Correct error or omissions in the descriptions or computations found on the assessment roll.
- Check the assessment roll for omitted properties or double assessments.